Wednesday, March 22, 2006

modern


When new clients ask who I am and what I do, I always have to pause and think. I'm a big believer in the idea that we are more than just what we do for a living, even if it is something we're intensely passionate about. I also have a hard time putting other people in 'boxes', and that includes myself as well. So on a basic level, I'm a designer and a gardener.
But one could also say I'm a land artist, a naturalist, a modernist, a photographer, a problem solver...you get the idea. As a designer, it is my responsibility to create responsible and conscious spaces that echo the client's vision and fantasies; but as designers we are also contorting reality: gardens are really another kind of visual theatre. What makes these endeavors successful on any level is that I am pulling not just from my experience in my industry, but from history, art, architecture, nature, the eco movement, etc. All these elements shape the gardens I design, and whether modern or classic in style, inspiration is recycled through drafting paper and pencil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home